Re: Old PowerMac G5 2-socket/2-cores-each: head -r368820 kernel reports: bus_dmamem_alloc failed to align memory properly

Brandon Bergren bdragon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 22 05:12:18 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020, at 10:25 PM, Dennis Clarke via freebsd-ppc wrote:
> On 12/21/20 11:03 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, 32-bit powerpc for old PowerMacs still has the kernel
> > gradually zeroing out user-space pages, even for single-socket/single-core
> > 32-bit PowerMacs. So I run 32-bit via a chroot on a 64-bit system: the
> > 64-bit kernel does not have this specific problem. (I seem to remember
> > that there was a different boot failure last I tried 32-bit, but I do not
> > remember any detail at this time.)

This is the bridge mode bug that we haven't figured out yet. It's specific to the G5 running a 32 bit kernel. The problem doesn't manifest on actual 32-bit MMUs.

--
  Brandon Bergren
  bdragon at FreeBSD.org