FreeBSD/powerpc and FreeBSD/powerpcspe toolchain update

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 25 02:41:05 UTC 2019

As of r349351 32-bit powerpc toolchains need to be rebuilt as part of
buildworld, in order to take advantage of the new Secure Procedure
Linkage Table (Secure-PLT) format.  This can be done by passing
"WITHOUT_SYSTEM_TOOLCHAIN=" on the 'make buildworld' command line.

Cross-building should work fine with no changes, as that already
builds a new toolchain.  If building with an external toolchain, such
as gcc8, add 'CFLAGS+= -msecure-plt' to /etc/src.conf to ensure the
new PLT is used, otherwise it will default to BSS-PLT, which is fully
compatible, but not as secure.  There is breakage intended at all, so
please let me know if there are any problems.

I will submit ports updates for review in the next few days, so that
ports can implicitly take advantage of secure-PLT as well.

- Justin