Supported versions running on PowerMac G4?

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 12 15:33:04 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 09:12:09AM -0600, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:29:30 +0100
> Michael Tuexen <tuexen at fh-muenster.de> wrote:
> > > On 12. Nov 2018, at 06:29, Jukka Ukkonen <jau789 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Now that 10.4 is apparently no longer supported I would like to
> > > know whether there is any supported FreeBSD version which
> > > boots and runs on an old dual-cpu PowerMac G4 QuickSilver?
>
> FreeBSD 12 should work fine on powerpc.  HOWEVER, you cannot do a
> buildworld/installworld and expect everything to work right.  I broke,
> with the Tier-2 hammer, the ABI by changing the time_t type from
> 32-bits to 64-bits, to match all other archs (except i386), so all
> ports must be rebuilt, a straight upgrade will not work for base.  The
> easiest thing to do would be to backup your data and reinstall from
> scratch.

I'm running FreeBSD-12 (r302710) on Mac mini G4 just fine.  Just as Justin
says, I'm kind of confined to it due to ABI changes that require another
medium (hdd, thumbdrive) to reinstall properly, but as long as I can build
ports, there's not much need to upgrade, everything's working more or less
okayish (as long as you're happy with console/ssh access).

./danfe