head -r333897 (usefdt and old PowerMac) questions

Mark Millard marklmi26-fbsd at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 04:09:17 UTC 2018

Long ago you had me try usefdt=1 on an old PowerMac G5 so-called
"Quad Core" and it failed to boot.

Does -r333897 mean that I should retest if I get a chance?

Also, the code path:

head/sys/dev/vt/hw/ofwfb/ofwfb.c

suggests to me a vt specific change, not spanning
sc. If I test, do I need to be specific about which
context I test?

I build with PS3 disabled and sc included. (You
suggested such long ago when vt was having a problem
and it was expected sc would work --which it did.
I've continued to have vt and sc around since then.)

# more /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG
#
# GENERIC -- Custom configuration for the powerpc/powerpc64
#

include "GENERIC64"

ident   GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

nooptions       PS3                     # Sony Playstation 3               HACK!!! to allow sc

options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support

options         ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

# For minimum debugger support (stable branch) use:
options         KDB_TRACE               # Print a stack trace for a panic
options         DDB                     # Enable the kernel debugger
options         GDB                     # HACK!!! ...

# Extra stuff:
#options        VERBOSE_SYSINIT         # Enable verbose sysinit messages
#options        BOOTVERBOSE=1
#options        BOOTHOWTO=RB_VERBOSE
#options        KTR
#options        KTR_MASK=KTR_TRAP
##options       KTR_CPUMASK=0xF
#options        KTR_VERBOSE

# HACK!!! to allow sc for 2560x1440 display on Radeon X1950 that vt historically mishandled during booting
device          sc
#device                 kbdmux          # HACK: already listed by vt
options         SC_OFWFB        # OFW frame buffer
options         SC_DFLT_FONT    # compile font in
makeoptions     SC_DFLT_FONT=cp437

# Disable any extra checking for. . .
nooptions       DEADLKRES               # Enable the deadlock resolver
nooptions       INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
nooptions       INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
nooptions       WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
nooptions       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
nooptions       DIAGNOSTIC
nooptions       MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES   # Separate malloc(9) zones

device          filemon
device          geom_label

===
Mark Millard