Porting Xserve G5 Lights Drivers from OpenBSD to FreeBSD

Evan Sabin memereferencehere at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:29:38 UTC 2018

I feel as though it would be nice to have a more complete set of drivers on my Xserve G5 running the latest FreeBSD — particularly, and really only, to support the processor indicator lights and the system identifier button and its corresponding rear light. As such, I did some searching and discovered the most feature-complete drivers for these hardware components could be found in the OpenBSD source code. (https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/xlights.c <https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/xlights.c>) (https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/sysbutton.c <https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/arch/macppc/dev/sysbutton.c>) I suppose my question is — How do I get from point A to point B, and how do I begin to port these drivers from OpenBSD to FreeBSD? What are the core differences in driver development on these two systems, particularity in regards to the PPC64 architecture?