Michael Tuexen tuexen at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 27 15:05:36 UTC 2018

> On 26. Jun 2018, at 07:33, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 07:17:42PM +0200, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>> I'm running FreeBSD head of today on a G4 MacMini. I'm trying to
>> load a kernel module using /boot/loader.conf by having the line
>>
>> tcp_rack_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf.
>>
>> However, this doesn't work and results in [module 'kernel' exists but
>> with wrong version].  I have no problems when running "kldload tcp_rack"
>> after the system completely booted.  Then the module loads without any
>> problems.
>
> I don't know what's causing it and cannot reproduce it right now (but then
> again, I'm still running fairly old r302710 -CURRENT on my G4), but I've
> heard about this very problem from another FreeBSD-on-G4 user.
I did some testing...

If I'm loading the kernel in the loader and then run lsmod -v I only see a single module
with name 'kernel' and version 1. This is wrong, I guess.

When doing the same on powerpc64, i386, and amd64, I see multiple modules
listen and also the kernel with a number like 1200069.

It comes from calling file_addmodule() at
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/stand/common/load_elf.c?view=markup#l1102

I guess this is not the expected code path, or am I wrong? I would expect that
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/stand/common/load_elf.c?view=markup#l1094
should have been used.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Best regards