head -r333897 (usefdt and old PowerMac) questions

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Dec 10 20:58:40 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 4:48 AM, Mark Millard wrote:
> On 2018-Dec-10, at 00:52, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
not sc, but everything ... caveat is that bge0 and bge1 may swap
numbers.>>>>>> kern.vty=vt
>>> See: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
>>>

>> Will do.
>>

> I used an odd mix of -r341766 and an older vmparam.h by content.
> The combination likely has never been built by an official FreeBSD
> build machine for public access, not even potentially for the
> continuous integration builds.

Ah .. I see. "Official" FreeBSD build machine.

> Another difference may sometimes be that I normally build with kernel
> debugging disabled for things like witness (but symbols not stripped).
> This is not the default for head/ based builds.

Right.  Makes sense.

> There are other source differences as well:
>
> # svnlite status /usr/src/ | sort
> ?       /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC-DBG
.
.
.
> M       /usr/src/usr.bin/top/machine.c

Lots of good stuff there.

>> Minor note here is that 341781 boots just fine without any smp issues :
>
> Was that via just usefdt=1 ? Both ways of booting?

   * always *

>> dclarke at eris$ uname -aU
>> FreeBSD eris 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r341781 GENERIC  powerpc 1200086
>>
>> . . .
>>
>> Built from https://svn.freebsd.org/base/head/ which should be 'official'.

dclarke at eris$ uname -a
FreeBSD eris 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r341781 GENERIC  powerpc

dclarke at eris$ uptime
  8:55PM  up 12:09, 1 user, load averages: 0.01, 0.10, 0.13

dclarke at eris$ sysctl kern.smp.cpus hw.ncpu
kern.smp.cpus: 4
hw.ncpu: 4
dclarke at eris$

Seems to be running well.

> I'm the one more likely to be doing builds based on odd vintage
> mixes and other source modifications if I understand right. I was
> expecting your builds to be (closer to) matching an official build
> on an official server. I count continuous integration builds
> seen via ci.freebsd.org as official and publicly accessible.

Well I am interested in the official 12.0 release being able to run
on ye old Apple PowerMac G5.

Dennis