PowerMac G5 hangs/crashes on boot: 10.2, 11.0-RCx

Krzysztof Parzyszek kristof at swissmail.org
Sun Sep 11 19:04:16 UTC 2016

On 9/10/2016 7:12 PM, Mark Millard wrote:

> Your report that you have some sort of failure after booting during the likes of buildkernel is new as far as I know. Sending the list (and/or a bugzilla report) about the failure mode and related information may be appropriate and help in the future. (May be I missed an already existing report.)

I think the issues with hangs are related to the temperature sensors.  I
was getting console messages that the media temp sensor was reporting
120C! I realized that as I replaced the hard drive, I changed the
position of the drive in a way that exposed the sensor to the wind from
the fans (it used to be angled a bit). Following this line of thought, I
stuck a piece of paper in front of the sensor and things seem to work.
At least work better than before. I have ordered a replacement sensor
from eBay, so hopefully that problem will go away.

Regarding your "hack": it works perfectly! So far, my system (10.3 at
the moment) has booted every single time, no exceptions, traps,
unexpected conditions. This is too good to remain as a "hack". I have no
experience debugging the kernel and I don't know ABI the OFW follows,
but I wouldn't mind digging a bit deeper into it, if someone shared some
pointers.

This is all with powerpc64.

I'll try checking if it helps with 11.0 next.

-Krzysztof