Installer problems with 11.0-RC3

Justin Hibbits chmeeedalf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 20:40:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 19:00:13 +0000
Roger Leigh <rleigh at codelibre.net> wrote:

> On 18/09/2016 09:04, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On 17/09/2016 23:46, Justin Hibbits wrote:

> >> I just fixed the second issue, which should be going into the next
> >> ISO (RC4? Final? Not sure at this point), but the initial commit
> >> was to head at r305894, and finally merged to 11.0 (by way of
> >> stable/11) in r305904 if you're curious.
> >
> > Super, thanks.  I'll retry this with the next ISO release.
>
> I got the time to retry with the 11.0-RELEASE ISO, and the above
> problem is fixed, but unfortunately then hit a problem I'd previously
> seen and posted on the list when testing 11.0-STABLE in
> mid-September.  The kernel loads and boots correctly, but it hangs at
> this point:
>
>    gem0: 10kB RX addr......
>    gem0: Ethernet address .......
>    cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on nexus0
>
> At this point it just sits there with the CPU fan going full tilt.
> I'm not sure what exactly the problem is here because I have no means
> to debug it that I'm aware of at that point during the boot.  Happy
> to investigate further if anyone could provide any hints about what I
> could do to assist.
>

> Regards,
> Roger

Hi Roger,

I just installed the latest FreeBSD-CURRENT snapshot for PowerPC (dated
10/31), and it seems to work just fine, so something was fixed in the
kernel or loader between July-ish and now.  When I get some time
(probably won't be for a while) I'll try to bisect snapshots.  If
you're willing to test snapshot boots, you can try a -CURRENT snapshot
from July, and bisect between then and now to possibly narrow down the
fix window.

- Justin