/usr/src/Makefile.inc1 vs. buildworld finding include files: a problem for some contexts?

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Feb 14 19:22:00 UTC 2016

Is buildworld supposed to use /usr/include's area for finding files by default? (I'm not talking of ${WORLDTMP}/usr/include but of just /usr/include.)

It does use /usr/include's area for some contexts: self-hosted builds without a special XCC full path (e.g., an implicit TARGET_ARCH=powerpc on a powerpc host using gcc 4.2.1 without an explicit XCC assignment that also directs it to gcc 4.2.1 via a full path).

/usr/src/Makefile.inc1 has the following sort of logic:

> .if ${XCC:N${CCACHE_BIN}:M/*}
. . .
> .if defined(X_COMPILER_TYPE) && ${X_COMPILER_TYPE} == gcc
> XCFLAGS+=       -isystem ${WORLDTMP}/usr/include -L${WORLDTMP}/usr/lib
> XCXXFLAGS+=     -I${WORLDTMP}/usr/include/c++/v1 -std=gnu++11 -L${WORLDTMP}/../lib/libc++
. . .
> .else
. . .
> .endif
> XCFLAGS+=       --sysroot=${WORLDTMP} ${BFLAGS}
> XCXXFLAGS+=     --sysroot=${WORLDTMP} ${BFLAGS}
> .else
> .if defined(CROSS_BINUTILS_PREFIX) && exists(${CROSS_BINUTILS_PREFIX})
> BFLAGS+=        -B${CROSS_BINUTILS_PREFIX}
> XCFLAGS+=       ${BFLAGS}
> XCXXFLAGS+=     ${BFLAGS}
> .endif
> .endif # ${XCC:M/*}

For contexts without the -isystem and/or --sysroot in XCFLAGS . . .

Is it appropriate to submit bug reports for buildworld getting include files from /usr/include instead of from ${WORLDTMP} or from /usr/src areas?

This tends to be noticed when something like the following. . .

> # svnlite update -r295453 /usr/src
> # env __MAKE_CONF=/root/src.configs/make.conf SRC_ENV_CONF=/root/src.configs/src.conf.powerpc-gcc421.powerpc-host MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/gcc421/powerpc.powerpc make -j 6 buildworld buildkernel

ends up with compile errors from using some older /usr/include header files that are no longer sufficient to allow compilation.

I recently had a couple of examples where the cc command in the script output file for the failing compiles showed no -I , no -isystem , no --sysroot , nothing that would have allowed it to even potentially avoid /usr/include (old file) use. The Makefile*'s involved had no CFLAGS+=SOMETHING_DIRECTING_INCLUDE_SEARCH .

(Some types of header changes might not stop a build but might make the build result wrong without much explicit notification. I'd prefer to avoid such as well.)

I expect that there are analogous points/questions for finding libraries.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net