Getting IBM pSeries 520 to boot from FreeBSD disc

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 29 16:25:23 UTC 2014

We have limited support in -CURRENT (and in 10.0) for IBM hardware. At
least the 520 can be netbooted into -CURRENT and works fine, although
the internal SCSI controller is unsupported. I believe Andreas Tobler is
working on a SCSI driver.

It sounds like there is some issue with the CD setup that needs to be
debugged on certain firmwares. POWER LPARs with VIOS should work with
10.0 (support may be a little better in -CURRENT) on any POWER system,
up to and including the newest POWER7+ systems, with full support for
storage and network. Advanced features like live partition migration and
hotplug of memory are not currently supported, however.

Not a lot of direct testing has been done, but the general situation is
that the PPC64 release should run on all POWER4/970 and newer hardware.
POWER4 whole-machine partitions probably require a new interrupt
controller driver, though LPARs should work (newer machines are all
LPAR-mode, even with only one partition) Earlier machines may or may not
work with the 32-bit release, depending on hardware drivers.
-Nathan