Tightening kernel for Mac Mini G4

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Sat Jan 25 13:17:20 UTC 2014

On 25.01.14 14:06, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 01:28:50PM +0100, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>> Also, if doing such work which combination fits and which doesn't I rely
>> on netbooting.
>> Iow, I build my kernels cross and boot over the net to see if it boots
>> on the mini (or whatever Mac).
>
> That's a nice idea; I guess I could've saved some time with cross-building
> on faster x86 box.
>
> Netbooting is a lifesaver indeed; that's how I originally installed and also
> recovered couple of times after screwing up.  Peter's [*] DHCP server sample
> config was really handy. :-)
>
> However, since my custom slim kernels expect matching /boot/loader.conf, I
> don't know if it would be possible to test them (GENERIC is not a problem,
> of course) with netboot other than manually loading modules on the console.
>
> ./danfe
>
> [*] http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/install.html

Here is my draft ;)
http://people.freebsd.org/~andreast/netboot_testing_ppc.txt

Should be no problem. The root fs is on nfs so you can always modify
/nfsroot/boot/loader.conf from your nfs machine and say what to load at
boot.
I do not press 'space' after 'boot enet:0,loader', I simply leave it and
it loads and/or prints verbose the booting process.

No more interaction on the OF level than saying 'boot enet:0,loader'.

Andreas