Tightening kernel for Mac Mini G4

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Sat Jan 25 12:29:08 UTC 2014

On 25.01.14 10:15, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:46:22PM -0800, Justin Hibbits wrote:
>> ADB is unnecessary, as is cuda.  PMU isn't strictly necessary, but I'm
>> in the process of adding more capabilities to our PMU driver, so you
>> may want to keep it, but it's not required for operation.
>
> Hmm, I guess I indeed better keep it: without it I have this liin in dmesg:
>
>   warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
>   accurately
>
> Also, in the Misc. section, "device iicbus" actually required for snd_ai2s.
> Not sure about "device kiic": it seems that Keywest I2C controller is fine
> with just iicbus:
>
>   iichb0: <Keywest I2C controller> mem 0xf8001000-0xf8001fff irq 42 on unin0
>   iicbus0: <OFW I2C bus> on iichb0
>   iicbus0: <unknown card> at addr 0x1c0

Yes, 'device iicbus' is needed, also 'device kiic' which offers the base
i2c transfer functions for the Keywest I2c.

The iicbus0: <unknown card> at addr 0x1c0 is the modem, aka cereal.

> I haven't looked into what is this strange "unknown card" yet, but adding
> or removing "device kiic" from kernel config does not change dmesg output.
> Source code for /sys/powerpc/powermac/kiic.c says it's some support routines
> for the controller; not sure if I need them on G4 or not.  Is support for
> Keywest I2C controller is incomplete without kiic?  Thanks,

You can try, but I'd leave it.

Also, if doing such work which combination fits and which doesn't I rely
on netbooting.
Iow, I build my kernels cross and boot over the net to see if it boots
on the mini (or whatever Mac).

If you need hints on how to netboot, let me know.
Andreas