Apache OpenOffice on FreeBSD-ppc (was Re: LibreOffice 4)

Pedro Giffuni pfg at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 24 02:52:16 UTC 2014

Hello Alexey;

Maho and I are committers in Apache OpenOffice and we would be
absolutely delighted to bring more FreeBSD platform support.

Some related comments:

We were considering dropping AOO3 from the tree as AOO4 should be better.

Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 will be the last OpenOffice release to build
with the old GNU toolchain in base. The Mac OSX port is forcing us to
move aggressively towards C++11. TBH FreeBSD 9.x support is at risk due
to a conflict between the old libstdc++ and an unpatched bug in the
version of boost that we carry.

My recommendation is to start from 4.0.1 and then upstream your changes
(it should not be difficult). For PPC you can, of course, borrow heavily
from linux-ppc. Here is an old guide that may help:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Lazy_Hackers_Guide_To_Porting

I will see if I can find some expert help for the endianness issue but
don't be shy about asking questions upstream ;-).

Pedro.