Tightening kernel for Mac Mini G4

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 23 06:41:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 04:49:22AM +0000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> Great, I've removed entire "Misc" section of the config.  I'm wondering
> if I can do the same for ADB support?

Apparently, I removed too much: newly built kernel panics on boot instantly:

  panic: vm_phys_paddr_to_segfind: paddr 0x1c3d000 is not in any segment
  cpuid = 0
  KDB: stack backtrace:
  0xd0004ab0: at kdb_backtrace+0x4c
  0xd0004b20: at panic+0x16c
  0xd0004b80: at vm_phys_add_page+0x12c
  0xd0004ba0: at vm_page_startup+0x428
  0xd0004c00: at vm_mem_init+0x24
  0xd0004c20: at mi_startup+0x13c
  0xd0003c50: at btext+0xc0
  KDB: enter: panic
  [ thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
  Stopped at	0x282e24:	addi	r0, r0, 0x0
  db>

Maybe moving "device mem" to /boot/loader.conf was not that good idea? :)

Keyboard is unresponsive at this point (could it be due to missing USB stuff
in kernel?).

What puzzles me more is that unloading the previous kernel and doing 'set
kernel=kernel.old' before boot also panics (WTF? it booted just fine before):

  panic: vm_phys_create_seg: increase VM_PHYSSEG_MAX

Perhaps some modules from /boot/loader.conf confuse GENERIC kernel.  Unless
I find a way to fix this, I might have to netboot again. :(

./danfe