Quick question about dev.smu dev.smusat on powermac11,2

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 28 19:50:03 UTC 2012

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Michael Copeland wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:
>       It should work fine (it does on my desktop, which is a G5 of the same model). Since I wrote that
>       program, fan control has moved to the kernel. The fans should be fairly quickly responsive (the
>       algorithm is quite basic) but should never go to full or cause a panic. Which release are you
>       running? There were some improvements to fan control in 9.1.
>       -Nathan
>
>       On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Michael Copeland wrote:
>
>       Is the fan control disabled by default on a GP dual core? Only reason I ask
>       is that the fans on spool up under full load, and that usually results in a
>       panic.
>       I did make a rather simple program and associated script to control the
>       fans, but this happens to result in the fans constantly going up and down
>       by about 300-400 rpm even while doing something simple like portsnap
>       extract. I checked the list after doing that, and found a thread where
>       someone else already did the same thing(a common problem of mine, I usually
>       try to fix it myself without checking the list). I swapped out the program
>       written by Nathan, but my results are the same. It DOES work, but I was
>       only wondering if it's normal for the fan speed to vary so often.
>
>       Thanks,
>
>       Michael
>
> Hi Nathan,
> It's 9.1-PRE, from.. 3 days ago.
> The fans, without my app running either spin at the lowest rpm, or the fastest. Once it's at max rpm, in 5
> minutes it will panic.

Interesting -- that should not happen, to say the least. Could you report
what the panic is and print out the contents of the dev.smu and dev.smusat
registries?

You can also disable automatic fan control by the sysctl
machdep.manage_fans (although I'd like to find and fix the actual problem
here)
-Nathan