Question about bootup

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Tue Mar 6 07:38:43 UTC 2012

#1 should be expanded a bit, and hopefully this will satisfy your curiosity about the Apple_bootloader partition.

OpenFirmware itself is quite complicated.  The "normal" situation is that you have boot-device=hd:2,\\:tbxi and the second partition on your boot drive is an HFS partition (the first partition is actually the partition map).  One of the files on this HFS partition is "blessed" in order to tell OFW to load it.

In actuality, it's not a file that is blessed, but a directory in the HFS partition, and that directory is inspected for a file of the type "tbxi" which is loaded.  In practice, there are usually no subdirectories, so : is blessed, and there are only a handful of files, one of which is either a bootloader or stage-1 kernel, and it is marked "tbxi" using hfsutils or some other tools (eg: 'hattrib -b : && hattrib -t tbxi -c UNIX :grub' will bless : and mark grub as the bootloader).

I'm not an expert on all of this, so there is probably room for expansion on some of my points, but hopefully that gets you in the right direction.

--Jeremy