POWER3 / IBM 7028-6E1

Lyubomir Grigorov lyubomir at grigorovl.eu
Mon Jan 9 23:45:44 UTC 2012

>I don't know what you and Nathan talked about; but, did you try the PPC(32)
>or PPC64?
I tried the 32bit PPC, as Nathan suggested. He said the 64-bit requires POWER4
and higher. Upon selecting "Install Devices" from SMS, and then selecting the
CD-ROM, SMS doesn't recognize the CD as bootable and doesn't list the OS
(FreeBSD). With Debian and NetBSD it finds that the CD is bootable and lists
the title.

I think this is because they both use yaboot, and I don't think the FreeBSD
uses it. Can you confirm this? I don't have a macintosh to test the FreeBSD PPC
CD.

>Also, what is the layout of the NetBSD CD? The PPC(64) CDs have a HFS boot
>partition that is recognized by the Apple-Mac firmware version of Open
>Firmware/Boot. You may want to contact the Open Firmware mailing list and
>ask for the boot commands.
Well, NetBSD uses a different port for Mac PPC and OpenFirmware PPC (the IBM
and Pegasus and such). Debian uses one CD for all PPC with both 32bit and
64bit kernels on it.

--
Lyubomir Grigorov (bgalakazam)