POWER3 / IBM 7028-6E1

Lyubomir Grigorov lyubomir at grigorovl.eu
Thu Jan 5 08:35:01 UTC 2012

>The 64-bit kernelwill certainly not work, as it depends on the newer MMU
>architecture >introduced with the POWER4.
NetBSD is in the same state, only 32-bit kernel boots. Debian Linux (and other
distros I assume) are able to boot a 64-bit kernel on that machine, though.

>I don't know a lot about POWER3. Your hardware isn't supported, for sure.
>It's possible the 9.0 PowerPC builds do something on it, and it would be
>interesting to see what if you feel like trying. If it manages to print
>anything to console, it's possible support could be added.
My machine didn't recognize the CD as bootable. I went through the image, but
I didn't find yaboot. Are you using it?

I ended up installing the ofppc port of NetBSD. It was just popping in the CD
and booting. I had to tweak it a bit, but it boots and works now.
This is my first exposure to NetBSD and it's a bit different. I wish FreeBSD
could work on the machine. One thing to note is that this is the ofppc (open
firmware) port of NetBSD, not the ppc one (which is for macs).

What are the chances of a "working" version of FreeBSD booting on POWER3-II? I
doubt this will help at all, but here is the dmesg from NetBSD along with some
info on Open Firmware that troubled me booting:

http://grigorovl.eu/hardware/netbsd-5-1-on-ibm-pseries-610-7028-6e1/

Cheers.
--
Lyubomir Grigorov (bgalakazam)