FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 ISO ppc64

richo richo at psych0tik.net
Mon Oct 31 02:04:24 UTC 2011

On 30/10/11 22:02 -0400, Justin Hibbits wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:39:51 +1100
>richo <richo at psych0tik.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/10/11 21:25 -0400, Justin Hibbits wrote:
>> >Anyone have a copy of the 9.0-BETA1 iso for PowerPC64?  I want to see
>> >if that runs on my G5, and don't really feel like going through
>> >the hassle of setting up a dhcp server just to netboot.
>> >
>> >- Justin
>>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> If you're asking whether or not it works, then the answer is yes,
>> although BETA1 is now quite old.
>>
>> I installed from BETA3 two weeks ago and I believe RC1 is the current
>> version.
>>
>> Rich
>>

>Hi Rich,
>
>I wanted the ISO to see if an older version would work on my G5.  I had
>tried RC1, and it would freeze after a minute or so after booting up,
>and I had a similar experience on my TiBook (ppc32), which runs
>BETA2/-CURRENT (doesn't lock up every time, but locks up "eventually"
>sometimes), but not on my MDD (ppc32) which runs something from around
>BETA1, so was hoping reverting to BETA1 would fix things.  Someone from
>##freebsd linked me to a source for it, so I tried and it failed (see
>the other thread regarding the problem for (slightly) more details).
>
>- Justin

Hi Justin,

In that case, I can confirm that BETA3 boots and installs fine on my G5 (I
think it's either 8,1 or 3,1. It's the last of the iMac's without iSight)

I am having some issues with 10-CURRENT at present, but I've been using my
BETA3 media as recovery while I try to get 10 working again, and aside from
sometimes not firing up the installer, all seems well.

I'll try to find your other thread.

Richo

--
richo || Today's excuse:

waste water tank overflowed onto computer