PowerMac G5 Quad - fan control?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Mar 13 20:55:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:29:41 -0500
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 03/13/11 15:23, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:15:58 -0600
> > Nathan Whitehorn<nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> Different G5 models have different thermal regulation schemes. On the
> >> PCI-Express-based systems (e.g. the Quad), CPU temperatures are read out
> >> by the smusat driver, and fan control is done by the smu driver. I wrote
> >> a small daemon to manage fans on my dual-core G5 that you may want to
> >> adapt that can be found at
> >> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/powermac112-fancontrol.c
> > Thanks!
> >
> > I've adapted it, my version is here[1]. How did you figure out the target temperature?
>
> I made up a number that I decided was safe. :P

Ok. It seems my machine stabilizes on temps 53/61 or 53/62 when idle.

> I run mine from rc.local like this:
> /usr/bin/thermald > /dev/null &

Ah, thanks!

> > My machine just panic'ed (sleeping thread) but I don't know if that was related to this program.
>
> Any details on the panic (output of uname -a, 32 or 64 bit kernel,
> messages, etc.) would be very interesting to see.

Unfortunately, it didn't generate a dump. Is this something new with FreeBSD 8.x - it seems like users have to take
explicit action to have dumpdev set up?
Before, it used to pick up dumpdev="AUTO" from /etc/defaults/rc.conf and we didn't have to do anything else.

Anyway:
root at kg-g5# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-g5.kg4.no 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #119 r217462M: Sat Jan 15 16:05:38 CST 2011     root at comporellon.tachypleus.net:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  powerpc

I think that is a 32-bit kernel?

on the positive side, my machine now runs happily, so I don't think that the fancontrol program had anything to do with the panic.

--
Torfinn