ANNOUNCE: powerpc64 now in -CURRENT

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 16 15:24:48 UTC 2010

On Jul 16, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Nathan Whitehorn
> <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> I had the same experience with my Dual 2.7 GHz PowerMac G5. I also
>>> have a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 that I can test on tomorrow or over
>>> the weekend.
>>
>> Does a verbose boot provide any information from the ATA layer
>> about why
>> they are failing to attach?
>
> I will try and determine that on the Dual 2.7. I just booted from
> disc1 on the Dual 1.8 and no hard drives show up with 'boot' but they
> do with 'boot -v'. I have been unable to use the livefs so far. I
> burned it to a DVD and tried to boot from it but it won't boot. The
> computer just spits it out when holding down C at startup. Using disc1
> I was able to partition the Dual 1.8 system but I can't install the
> boot loader without the livefs (I think anyway). Oddly, the livefs
> mounts as an hfs filesystem on my Mac. Is that correct?

You can install the boot loader from the fixit shell on disc1 (see the
guide at http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/ppcinstall.txt using
gpart from the fixit shell). The livefs should show up as HFS so that
you can boot from it. This sounds very much like some kind of timing
issue in the SATA driver.
-Nathan