Xserve G5 device attach failed

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 11 16:41:27 UTC 2010

On 07/11/10 11:26, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I got an Xserve G5 and am trying to add it to allbsd.org release
>   build cluster, but the box seems not to recognize gem(4) and ata(4)
>   on the PCI bus properly.  Can anyone track down what is wrong?
>
>   The kernel is 9.0-CURRENT as of July 7 (recompiled with GENERIC +
>   options SMP and ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER).  The results of pciconf,
>   devinfo, and dmesg.boot have been attached.
>
> -- Hiroki

That's all expected, actually. There's a silicon bug in your model of K2
SATA controller that presents a phantom second function (atapci1), to
which the SATA driver correspondingly fails to attach. Similarly, both
actual ethernet ports are controlled by bge(4), and Apple has left a
phantom gem device on the bus, to which gem(4) also fails to attach.
-Nathan