can't partition disk using sys-install

Jason Bacon jwbacon at tds.net
Wed Dec 29 14:16:34 UTC 2010

Hello Jordan,

I recently installed 8.1 on a couple of iBooks (many thanks to Nathan's
instructions and feedback).

I just posted my admin log at:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~jwbacon/freebsd_powerpc.html

It gives a detailed account of the partitioning process and sysinstall,
and some notes about installing ports, configuring X11, etc.  I've been
meaning to make real documentation out of it, but for now the text file
will have to do.

Good luck,

    -J

jordan force wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I'm trying to install FreeBSD on an old iBook G4, that was running Debian
> (uggghhh!). I tried to put FreeBSD on it, but I kept getting an error while
> partitioning, and looking at the release notes, it appears that it can't
> partition the discs using sys-install, and it says that I have to use
> gparted. My only question is: can I access parted from the FreeBSD? or would
> I have to burn an ubuntu live cd from here:
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/lucid/release/, boot into that, and
> open up Gparted to partition. Also, does gparted on the Ubuntu CD support
> ufs (Unix File System)?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jordan
>
> P.S. I lost my OS X install CD, so that is of no use

Jason W. Bacon
jwbacon at tds.net
http://personalpages.tds.net/~jwbacon