8.0-RC2 on Rackmac3,1 - fatal kernel trap

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 5 00:18:40 UTC 2009

I'm not sure what's going on with the release CDs -- you should get
farther than that. Full support for this hardware is currently only in
-CURRENT, and missed the 8.0 release inclusion deadline. It should be in
8-stable immediately after the release, however. I can supply an install
ISO for -CURRENT, if you are interested.

But the CD should at least get you to complaints from the SATA
controller, and the kernel certainly should not be jumping to a NULL
address like it appears to be doing. Can you give some more details on
your setup (i.e. serial or video console, did you boot by pressing 'C'
or from the Open Firmware prompt, etc.), and maybe the full transcript
of your boot attempt, with the snipped bits restored?

Thanks,
Nathan