assorted man pages not installing from anywhere?

Little Bhudda lbhudda at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:28:04 UTC 2009

Hello guys,

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question; I really am not... This is
the first time, however, that I am installing FreeBSD on the PowerPC
platform, and I had a similar problem to the one posted earlier, where
the HD was throwing up DMA errors. For me (as it might be with the
original poster, Mikel Tidwell) this was a hard disk on the brink of
collapse. I found out using the SMART toolset.

The main reason for this post, however is to ask if it is just me, or
if the installation CDs really don't support the installation of
documentation via sysinstall. I loaded the system with a bootonly cd,
and then got the distribution from an ftp server close to me (I'm in
Germany). Even though the installation process did leave me with a
bootable system, the manual pages are missing. Trying to install them
again after rebooting the system (using sysinstall) tells me the
package cannot be found on the CD either. I then tried the root
server, which also didn't give it to me. Then I downloaded the
disc1.iso thinking it would be on there (it is), but also no go. I
then installed it manually by going to the directory under RELEASE8.0
and running install.sh

Is it just me, or is this really not working?

Regards,
Rob