Apologies for failing.

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Fri Oct 10 05:50:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 05:54 +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> Hi Horst,
>
> >- Get X
> >- Get Xfce
>
>  You'll have to build these from source. Best to leave
> overnight. Configuring the Xorg server is a bit of an
> adventure, though there are a few NetBSD configs out there to
> copy from.

I've never had trouble with X.Org configurations thankfully. Also I'm
starting to wish I had a more powerful PPC box - srsly I should not have
to build ViM of all things ;) (i want my modeline back too btw)

> >- Get SXEmacs
>
>  I'd love to see that running on PPC :) Last time I looked at
> Emacs, there was quite a bit of build glue to get it going.
> Too complicated for my patience at the time.

I'm your man then. I work with the SXEmacs project. We already boast
support for building on PPC/Darwin so given how much has been shared
between the two it's not a huge leap to assume it can be made to work on
PPC/FreeBSD relatively easily. :)

Also, our build system is standard autotooled - aclocal, autoconf,
configure, make, make install.

It also has a Gentoo ebuild which I wrote (and which the project lead
thought was impractical to do, but i proved him wrong haha) so
theoretically it could even end up in ports if I figure out how to make
a port.

> >- Try and get the AIX/PPC binaries for Netscape Communicator
> 4 to run ;)
> Now, doing an AIX binary emulation for FreeBSD is certainly a
> large task :)

FreeBSD should already have AIX binary emulation layers ...

If not, anywhere else I can get Netscape Communicator in a PPC binary
form that will run on FreeBSD? It's important that it's Communicator and
not say Mozilla or one of the opensourced forks.

> later,
>
> Peter.

Thanks.