Installation preparation questions

Nathan Whitehorn nathanw at uchicago.edu
Tue May 13 19:55:02 UTC 2008

Ross Gohlke wrote:
>> Hi Ross,
>>

>>> My six year-old TiBook is still more reliable (and better outfitted)
>>> than
>>> some recent i386 laptops I've used. I can't wait to give it to my Mom as
>>> starter Internet terminal - as soon as I can install PC-BSD on it!
>>>
>>   I don't want to burst your bubble, but the FreeBSD/ppc install
>> currently makes NetBSD's install look like PC-BSD :(
>>

> Maybe I'm just really bad at finding the right BSD documentation. I
> wrestled with NetBSD on a PowerMac G4 a while back and gave up. I am not a
> hardware guy, and fiddling with system-level settings is something I would
> rather avoid. Monitor frequency? Give me a break!
>
> I have been able to boot FreeBSD/ppc Installer CD (downloaded from
> ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/powerpc/, burned using Disk Utility,
> booted holding down C) on a PowerMac G4, an iBook G4 and a Powerbook G4.
> And there waiting for me is good old sysinstall.
> Pull up
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-sysinstall.html.
> >From there it's as easy or hard as any FreeBSD install.
> What am I missing?

The thing that you are missing is that (a) sysinstall can't partition
disks on PowerPC, and (b) the boot loader needs to be installed onto an
HFS partition by hand. You will likely need MacOS for this. This is in
common with the most annoying bits of the NetBSD install.

I believe Marcel's gpart work can fix the partitioning issue, but the
boot loader thing won't go away unless and until FreeBSD acquires
in-kernel HFS support. There was a port of the Darwin HFS module back in
the 5.3 days, but it has suffered badly from bit rot with all the VFS
changes since then.
-Nathan