Installation preparation questions

Nathan Whitehorn nathanw at uchicago.edu
Tue May 13 03:14:03 UTC 2008

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On May 12, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Ross Gohlke wrote:
>
>> This is disheartening news. My goal is to build a server that can be
>> completely controlled remotely. I have had STELLAR success with
>> FreeBSD on
>> i386.
>
> The problem with FreeBSD on Apple hardware is that we don't have a
> driver for the power management unit. The PMU needs to be programmed
> every time on reboot so that the machine will power-up after a power
> failure. We can't do this yet. I consider it a flaw in the hardware,
> but such is the state of affair.

The last revision of the ADB code I wrote had the first bits of a PMU
driver (written for a borrowed laptop, so I can't work on it anymore).
It had enough pieces working that ADB was semi-functional, but could
probably be expanded to do things like this without too much trouble,
assuming Linux or NetBSD have worked out the communication protocol for
programming this already. A project for someone, I guess...
-Nathan