pdisk, ofctl and yaboot

Niels S. Eliasen nse at delfi-konsult.com
Fri Jun 27 22:06:47 UTC 2008

hi Peter, guys
Den 27/06/2008 kl. 18.14 skrev Peter Grehan:

> Hi Niels,
>
>> Hi guys
>> a couple of minor questions......
>> 1. Where do I find "pdisk" for FreeBSD ?
>
>  Not there. It's easy enough to build it from NetBSD source (looks
> like you've done that). Now that gpart is in the tree, there should
> be no need for pdisk (at least in CURRENT).
nice... ;-)

>> 2. Where do I find "ofctl" for FreeBSD ?
>
>  It's eeprom(8) on FreeBSD.
no such thing in my version of FreeBSD... is that fairly new ?
ahh.. found it in /usr/src/usr.sbin/eeprom ....
just complains about "eeprom: could not open /dev/openfirm: no such
file or directory"  ??

>> 3. Anyone that knows how to integrate the Open Firmware parameters
>> for FreeBSD with yaboot ?
>
>  At one point the loader's load address conflicted with yaboot.
> This may not be the case anymore - it's been a very long time since
> I looked at it. But in theory the loader could be booted from yaboot.
Well.. does not appear so.... I use "yaboot" to be able to switch
between various "flavours" .... and choosing "Open Firmware" and then
just doing "boot hd:loader hd:5" does the trick

>> If only FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD (all macppc) could agree upon
>> how to integrate with yaboot... alternatively find one unified
>> boot-sequence... life would be so much easier ....
>
>  Might be a bit late for that :(
sigh....

Garrett Cooper wrote:

> IIRC yaboot was being deprecated for Grub 2.x. There are some
> outstanding bugs (I found) with how yaboot parses secondary cd drives
> and the like that I was going to debug and fix a while back, but I got
> caught up with other things...
> I'd definitely compile the last stable and work from that though
> because there are a few new helpful features for booting from
> non-standard locations for yaboot.conf files.
> Cheers,
> -Garrett

Have I missed something in class... or isn't "grub" x86 only ??
and if not so... is there any kind of "HOWTO" using grub for PowerPC ?

> later,
>
> Peter.

kind regards

nse

"Ach, crivens, what a wee snotter....."

Quote from "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett