Device trees

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 24 03:41:32 UTC 2008

In message: <D33D2388-8237-406D-8162-1DF9013277A2 at jeamland.net>
            Benno Rice <benno at jeamland.net> writes:
:
: On 24/07/2008, at 8:47 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > Does FreeBSD/powerpc on the MPC85xx machine use the fake device open
: > firmware tree stuff from uboot (aka dts in the linux kernel sources)?
:
: I've got a machine (Mikrotik RouterBOARD 333, uses MPC8321) that has
: this.  I've been working with one of the dtc developers to port their
: code over to FreeBSD.

Cool!

: I'm trying to hide it underneath our existing
: OpenFirmware stuff.  I've got a few more bugs to get out of it but I
: can probably send you some patches early next week...

That's basically what Linux does.  They force the boot loader to pass
in all kinds of information about the system.  This makes a lot of
sense, I think.

Are you booting /boot/loader?  Or directly booting the kernel from
uboot?

In message: <106CEF8A-EA8A-48BC-BAF7-B9C112F58A92 at mac.com>
            Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> writes:
: No, it doesn't.

Is there any reason it doesn't?  Having looked at the dtc stuff, it
seems to have all the requirements of device enumeration that we
talked about at BSDcan...

Warner