G5 boots multi-user!

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 23 19:14:43 UTC 2008

Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> At 6:26 PM -0500 7/22/08, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> I've fixed the crashing bugs and some issues with TLB invalidation,
>> and my G5 now runs stably. I can build ports, etc., and it is
>> reasonably fast. Updated patch here:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/g5.diff
>>
>> Known bugs:
>> 1. World builds are broken due to changes to CACHELINESIZE,
>>    so build world first.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by this...  Or does this mean one has
> to do a cross-build (from a different platform) for 'make buildworld'?
You just have to have built a world before applying the patch, since
loader wants CACHELINESIZE defined for standalone executables, and it
varies depending on CPU model. Any PowerPC world that was built without
applying the patch will work fine on G5.
>> Aside from that, any single CPU G5 machine with AGP (single CPU
>> Powermac G5s and iMacs) should work without noticeable problems aside
>> from the broken NFS locking. Please let me know if this isn't true.
>
> I can't easily test this right now, but this is very encouraging
> progress!  The guy down the hall from me will probably be unhappy
> though.  I was going to give him my old G5, but if FreeBSD runs
> on that then I'd much rather use that than my Mac mini!
Oh well :P

Assuming it's a dual-CPU machine, it will take a little more time before
that is supported at all, and any G5 will be very loud because we don't
have fan control yet. It will also be a while until X is supported
because we no longer have a direct physical memory mappping. I'm going
to have a stab at SMP support before the week is out.
-Nathan