G5 boots multi-user!

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 23 19:02:03 UTC 2008

At 6:26 PM -0500 7/22/08, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>I've fixed the crashing bugs and some issues with TLB invalidation,
>and my G5 now runs stably. I can build ports, etc., and it is
>reasonably fast. Updated patch here:
>
>http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/g5.diff
>
>Known bugs:
>1. World builds are broken due to changes to CACHELINESIZE,
>    so build world first.

I don't understand what you mean by this...  Or does this mean one has
to do a cross-build (from a different platform) for 'make buildworld'?

>Aside from that, any single CPU G5 machine with AGP (single CPU
>Powermac G5s and iMacs) should work without noticeable problems
>aside from the broken NFS locking. Please let me know if this isn't
>true.

I can't easily test this right now, but this is very encouraging
progress!  The guy down the hall from me will probably be unhappy
though.  I was going to give him my old G5, but if FreeBSD runs
on that then I'd much rather use that than my Mac mini!

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org