Single user mode on G5!

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Mon Jul 21 12:30:00 UTC 2008

Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Patches at http://banshee.uchicago.edu/~nwhitehorn/g5.diff. Beware that
> kernels with INVARIANTS enabled do not run on G5s because of some issues
> writing to the console in early boot and that the patch breaks building
> loader, and thus world. These should be easy to fix, and will be fixed
> once the system is working.

Fantastic news, congratulations!

I have one very general comment regarding naming scheme, which isn't even
strictly related to your G5 work but the existing G3/4 port too. There is the
'OEA' prefix used, which came from NetBSD, but it seems rather unfortunate to
me: Operating Environment Architecure is a generic term for certain layer in
PowerPC definition nomenclature, and each implementation variant of the CPU
has actually its own OEA defined... I think it would be better to change it to
something more meaningful.

Rafal