Porting FreeBSD to PPC

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Mon Jul 7 18:30:09 UTC 2008

Peter Grehan wrote:
>> I want to port FreeBSD using the embedded PPC in Xilinx Virtex4 ML403
>> board.
>> Can anybody point me to the right path??
>
>  It's going to take a lot of work
>
>    - CPU support for the embedded 405 ppc core. This isn't in FreeBSD yet.

True. One of the directions would be looking at NetBSD code, as they have some
ppc405 support (at least Walnut platform was supposed to run when I last
looked it it).

>> I want to know how the bootloader should also be.
>
>  Looks like u-boot supports the ml403, and with u-boot now supporting
> FreeBSD, that should be the place to start.

Yes, and getting the loader to work should be a pretty easy step: our existing
PowerPC loader(8) for U-Boot should run as is in most cases: it's known to
work on MPC85xx (e500) and MPC83xx (e300) and I don't see why this code would
not run on other PowerPC variations.

Rafal