Best way to boot / install a mac?

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:01:51 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:13 AM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Is there any alternative to 4-fingering the boot?  Also, why not wipe
> all
> partitions and boot from TFTP to get the loader?  Would that work?
>
> i.e. boot enet:,loader -- and then let loader somehow find the kernel /
> filesystems on the disk?

Is netbooting working on PPC? I think all new world Macs support net boot, I
think it would be very cool to be able to use that. Comments?

2) If you don't care about OS X, is there any alternative way to partition
> the disk?  My powermac does not have a DVD drive in it, so I have to plug
> in
> a PC drive to boot off of my OS X dvd.  I'd prefer to repartition more
> natively -- even if it means getting the loader via TFTP.

I had a new disk in an old mac the first time I tried to install, and it is
a bit strange
not being able to partition the disks from the Installer. I've been using
x86 for quite a while, and I can't remember when you couldn't partition from
inside the Installer.
Partitioning without caring about OS X should be a goal. (Can FreeBSD boot
w/o any OS X partitions at all? I was under the impression that some piece
of the boot process had to live on an OS X partition).

Thanks,
Gerald