Two issues. One minor, one major.

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 02:01:06 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Horst Günther Burkhardt III
<horst at sxemacs.org> wrote:
> Another thing I forgot: for those brave enough to look at this problem :
> the entire session log can be found at http://rafb.net/p/MOTbHY26.html
> relating to the failure of python25 to build. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I'm completely stumped as to the cause of this odd error.
>
> ktrace and kdump links available:
> ktrace  : http://midcom.unlogicnetworks/tmpfiles/python-compileall-trace.txt.bz2
> kdump -f: http://midcom.unlogicnetworks/tmpfiles/python-compileall-kdump.txt.bz2
> Hopefully these will help unearth what went wrong to some extent.
>
> Is there anything further I can provide to assist with diagnosing the problem? (It has been suggested that this is an upstream bug perhaps.)
>
> Thanks again,
> -- Horst.

Why are you using mcpu and mtune directly? You can use CPUTYPE, e.g.:

CPUTYPE                 := nocona

(Replace nocona with 7400 8-)...)

I did a quick google search and while -mcpu=7400 and -mtune=7400
doesn't necessarily imply -maltivec, I would ask the GCC folks whether
or not that is truly the case. Or a quicker means to determine if that
is the problem is to use mcpu=common (or a known working 32-bit ppc
arch) and see whether or not you run across the same error.

-Garrett