MiniMac and Xorg

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 28 17:22:38 PST 2005

Hi Tilman,

  Thanks for giving it a go !

 > Does xorg already work on powerpc?

  I've run 6.8.1 on

  - rev B iMac               (Rage 3D Pro 215GP, accel disabled).
  - 700Mhz eMac              (Nvidia GeForce2 MX)
  - 12" 1.33G G4 powerbook   (Nvidia GeForce G5200)

  and Martin Minkus has run it on a 350MHz iMac, Rage 128VR.

  It hasn't worked on ATI Radeon-based machines yet: looks like a range
check will have to be relaxed in the ofw syscons mmap code. So, out of
luck with the miniMac until I get that tested. Plus I'm going to update
to 6.8.2.

 > (BTW the usb Keyboard does not work inside DDB...)

  That is a relic of syscons: the keyboard isn't attached until USB is
probed. I'm thinking of putting in a hack to allow the keyboard to be
accessed by OpenFirmware until it is probed by h/w - this will allow
breakpoints to be set during boot.

 >BTW, I put this information on the wiki
 >http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/powerpc

  Thankyou for that and also the multitude of packages that you've built :)

later,

Peter.