Apple x86 Ramifications?

peterg at ptree32.com.au peterg at ptree32.com.au
Tue Jun 7 12:17:34 GMT 2005

>Any thoughts on Apple's announcement that they will slowly transition
>to Intel processors and thus phase out PowerPC? Does IBM's "Power"
>(power.org) initiative yield a viable target in light of many of us
>hardware donors being unable to afford any to donate?

 My initial reason for working on FreeBSD/PPC was to support
embedded CPUs such as the Freescale PowerQUICC. The Apple
announcement means that decent same-architecture hosts will
be more scarce in the future, but that doesn't change my primary
goal :)

 The IBM 970-based blade server could be a viable platform, as
could PSIII/xbox360/gcube revolution :) PowerPC has a bright
future I think.

later,

Peter.