freebsd 6.0 beta1/ppc on emac 1250mhz: install atempt report

gil verthaim lazeros at actcom.net.il
Sat Jul 30 12:50:06 GMT 2005

Peter Grehan wrote:

>> in a resent installation atampt i have now found a new problem:
>> the init script can execute getty becose it doesnt finds the any of
>> the virtual teminal /dev entry
>>
>> example:
>> "init:cant exec getty '/usr/libexecgetty' for prot /dev/ttyvX no such
>> file or dicrectory"
>>
>> and keeps looping in attempt to find them...
>

>  Would you be able to boot into single-user mode (boot -s at the
> loader prompt) and 'ls /dev' when you get to the root prompt ?
>
>  The syscons ttyv* entries are createc by devfs, so the only reason I
> could think that they don't show up is that there is no /dev directory
> on the root filesystem. But, in that case, init bombs out very early
> because it can't open /dev/console.

i opend the single user mode and ls'ed /dev, and your right, thare is no
/dev dirctory, it turns out to be im a complate idiot.
i origanly made a dfiffrent partition for /var, /tmp and /usr without
understanding that fstab doesnt mount any of this in boot after install
not just the rooot patiotion.
after that i formatted and reinstalled beta-1 on a single free partition
and it seemed to made the problemm go away.

at any rate, thanks for the help peter i just wanted to report
outstending regrassions to make this port work, but i prodobly should
wait to later betas before submiting to this list

cheers
gil