refrence machine

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 22 19:54:44 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:48:57PM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> >>I've been looking for a G4 Xserve on eBay -- but all I can find now are
> >>G5 models. :-(
> >
> >That's something I was wondering about but couldn't see in a year's
> >worth of archives; how SOL are we for FreeBSD on a G5 and what are the
> >barriers?
>
>  The G5 is a true 64-bit CPU with a 64-bit MMU. 32-bit user-mode code
> can run unchanged, but the kernel has to deal with the 64-bit MMU and
> various other bits and pieces that are painful to implement.

So it's lack of code rather than anything more sinister? Good.  I had
heard some complaints about a dodgy OpenFirmware implementation.

>  I have a 1.6G uniprocessor G5, and have mucked around with it a bit -
> the loader works, for instance - but it might be a while before things
> start happening.

I have a dual G5 PowerMac as of quite recently, and the
second-to-most-recent SNAP booted as far as probing for KDB backends
which was a pleasant surprise. ;)

Ceri
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)