refrence machine

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Tue Jul 19 15:02:45 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org>
To: "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs at gwi.net>
Cc: <freebsd-ppc at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: refrence machine

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 01:43:20PM -0400, Joshua Coombs wrote:
>> If there is interest, I can start trying to scrounge up enough
>> parts
>> to make a 'franken-mac' to put into the cluster.  I've built one in
> ..
>> Do cluster machines have to be rack mount?
>
> Yes.  This is one of the impediments.  Along with needing to support
> serial console and be able to be power cycled remotely.
>
> I've been looking for a G4 Xserve on eBay -- but all I can find now
> are
> G5 models. :-(

Ok, it's not an insurmountable task.  If someone can identify a G4
with a known working serial console implimentation, I can adapt a
standard ATX rack case to hold/power it.  I'm assuming firewire/ADC
won't be needed which eliminates the need for an external wall wart
power supply to bring in 24v?

Do the G3 imacs have working serial consoles?  Those are cheap and
redily available, as are G3 class laptops.

Joshua Coombs