FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Dario Freni saturnero at freesbie.org
Fri Jul 1 20:43:59 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:03:49AM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> >Hi guys, I've just installed FreeBSD on an external hard drive. You
> >know, I was too lazy to reformat everything, so I recycled an old 6Gig
> >harddrive thanks to an external box. You can find a mini-guide at:
> >
> >http://tinyurl.com/b7s8u
>
>  Great work Dario ! I'm looking forward to the FreeSBIE/ppc live CD :)

Just made the first boot :) A small report:

- previously, we used to add 32Mb to the mfsroot size normally
  required. Apparently OpenFirmware didn't like this. Here is the
  loader output:

/boot/kernel/kernel data=0x34a094+0x52208 syms=[0x4+0x49672]
/ [rotating some seconds]
Invalid memory access at        %SRR0: 01c18620 %SRR1: 00083030

Then the OpenFirmware prompt again. Resolved by removing the exceeding
32Mb.

- usually we extensively use md memory fs union-mounted on compressed
  fs for /usr, /var and /root. Keeping this behaviour atm results on
  an instantaneous reboot apparently on the "Creating/trimming log
  files" phase during the init. I'm not sure about this because, as I
  said, the reboot is fast, no panic and no freeze.

I temporarily resolved removing the unionfs, but I really want to make
this work. Are there still problems with unionfs on recent -currents?

--
Dario Freni (saturnero at freesbie.org)
FreeSBIE developer (http://www.freesbie.org)