PPC miniinst.iso available

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:35:36 GMT 2005

Peter Grehan writes:
 > >> WRT partitions, do you think it would be useful to have them within a
 > >>slice ? I've been thinking about allowing GPT partitions within a
 > >>slice for a while, although it does complicate the loader a bit.
 > >

 > > 	I don't really know, I assumed that was the way it worked on PPC as
 > > 	well as i386.  But considering we don't have the slice restrictions,
 > > 	it does make sense to use one partition / slice (as OS X sees it).
 > >
 > > 	How is it on Alpha ?  If there's a precedent there, it might be the
 > > 	way to go.
 >
 >   Alpha uses native MBR slices/BSD partitions ala FreeBSD/i386.

For the boot disk, the alpha uses native BSD partitions just like
Tru64 with no x86 MBR or slices.  There are all kinds of restrictions,
like "a" must be root and must be the first partition on the disk.
For non-boot disks, it can use other partitioning schemes, just like
any other FreeBSD platform.

What's wrong with just using the native Apple parition table for boot
disks on PPC?  Too few available paritions, what with all the driver
and patch partitions?

Drew