Questions regarding installation

Peter Larkowski peter at larkowski.net
Thu Mar 4 21:13:59 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Peter Grehan wrote:

> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:42:11 +1000
> From: Peter Grehan <grehan at freebsd.org>
> To: Barry Hawkins <ly5t5 at allthingscomputed.com>
> Cc: FreeBSD PowerPC <freebsd-ppc at freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Questions regarding installation
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> > [0] http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/install.html
>
>   I've updated install.html to cover your questions. Also, I've
> put up a softlink which points to the latest distribution, and
> also updated that to a very recent one which includes libthr
> and Kauai ATA support.
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc-root-latest.tbz2
>                                     kernel
>                                     loader

I didn't realize progress had been made on the ata controller.  I tried
both the kernel listed above, and the kernel in the ppc-root tarball, and
they both hang at the pci2 bus probe.  Unfortunately, I don't have a
keyboard at that point, so a dmesg is difficult, but the last lines of
boot -s -v are:

found-> vendor=0x106b, dev=0x0032, revid=0x80
        bus=0, slot=15, func=0
        class=02-00-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
        cmdreg=0x0006, statreg=0x84a0, cachelnsz=32 (dwords)
        lattimer=0x20 (960ns), mingnt=0x40 (16000 ns), maxlat=0x40 (16000
ns)
        intpin=a, irq=41

Then, that's it.  I also tried kernel.kauai and it says ata1: cannot
allocate memory, but does get me to the mountroot prompt (with no disk
unfortunately).

Oh, this is a 2nd rev 12" powerbook (1Ghz).

Let me know if I can provide further info.

-p