1U Xserve (1ghz)?

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 24 23:48:45 PDT 2004

Hi Forrest,

> I have a 1U MAC OS X server (1ghz, the label says) for which I wonder if
> FreeBSD will run on.   I saw an outdated page on freebsd.org (from 2002)
> that mentioned this list.
>
> Could someone point me to some info.. or perhaps tell me the status of
> this and whether I may have some luck getting FreeBSD 4 or 5 to run on it.

  It may be possible to run a non-release version of 5.3 on it - I've
not tried an XServe. Note that the installation procedure is not for the
feint of heart !

  A CD image is at  www.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc-081304.iso

  ... and this is a pre-built version of the one described in

  www.freebsd.org/~grehan/install.html

later,

Peter.