Long Term Ideas

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 20:50:52 PDT 2003

Hey folks,

I was just sitting here thinking, and had a few ideas that I thought
were interesting.  In particular, I was reading an article about how
IRIX compatibility in NetBSD worked, and I was thinking that binary
compatiblity in FreeBSD for AIX and/or Mac OS X would be interesting.
Granted this would be a TON of work (and quite a ways down the road
considering how close/near FreeBSD-PowerPC is to usable), but as a long
term plan I think it would be a great idea.  It would definitely put
this port on the map, as even NetBSD does not have binary compatibility
on the PowerPC platform.

Now, here's a more extended list of things the I need to ponder:

1)  Could Mac OS X's Mach-O loader be ported to FreeBSD?  How do the
APSL licensing terms work with stuff like that?

2) Is AIX built like, say, SVR4?  I know that NetBSD has SVR4 and IRIX
compatibility, and I was under the impression the FreeBSD has at least
SVR4, but I've never actually checked that out.  If so, then in theory
supporting AIX shouldn't be terribly bad, more a matter of working with
any variations it presents from the other Unices (Executable format?)

3) Since almost all of Mac OS X's underlying libraries are Open Source
in one way or another, achieving wide support shouldn't be too bad.
The only closed libraries I'm aware of are the UI ones, and unless
someone wants to write a WINE-like runtime for it, I doubt we need to
worry about that.

Anyways, those are tonight's ramblings.  Feel free to tell me I'm an
idiot and it's impossible, or that I definitely need to go to sleep.
But I am really looking forward to being able to run FreeBSD on my Mac
one day!

Owen Anderson