FYI: rudimentary loader for ppcbug-based systems

Jaworowski Rafal-ARJ004 Rafal.Jaworowski at motorola.com
Mon Oct 13 06:52:48 PDT 2003

In case anyone would be interested..

I have put together a rudimentary third-stage loader that is tied to PPCBug firmware. I took the existing FreeBSD/powerpc loader, divorced it from OF and bound to PPCBug. The low level pieces are based on NetBSD/mvmeppc port which also utilises PPCBug interface.

The first piece of functionality I want to achieve is netbooting the kernel. At the moment the loader is able to mount nfs-exported directory, browse it and load elf files across the network. I didn't get to execute the actual powerpc kernel yet but that's the next step. I'm using a compactPCI MCP750 board if you're interested.

I'll keep you posted about the progress.

Rafal