Initially setting up power pc

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 2 23:56:06 PDT 2003

Hi Jens,

> as I asked in May, is their any chance for me to setup a cd or hard
> disk to get my IBM 43p booting a freebsd? My question is: how do I
> cross-compile my src-tree and how do I have to set up the hard disk
> I put in the machine (or how do I create a cd-image, because 'make
> isoimage' seems not to work or I'm to stupid for this)?

 To cross-compile the source tree:

 #  make -DNOLIBC_R TARGET_ARCH=powerpc buildworld
 #  make -DNOLIBC_R TARGET_ARCH=powerpc buildkernel

 Now, since this is an IBM Power machine, and unsupported by FreeBSD/PPC,
the first step is probably to see if the FreeBSD loader will be accepted
by OpenFirmware. The best bet would be to see if you could get Linux
up and running on the box, since that would provide an environment where
you could gather info on how to boot the box and it's h/w internals.

later,

Peter.