Preferred way of repocopy in terms of git

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 10 09:21:52 UTC 2021

On Mon, 10 May 2021 09:30:56 +0200 Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 11:32:48PM +0600, Muhammad Moinur Rahman wrote:
>> What is the preferred way of doing ports repocopy in git? In the hard
>> way I can see moving it into two locations and merging them. But is
>> there any easier way of doing it?
>
> Well, here is what I did when I added lang/perl5.34:
>
> cp -R lang/perl5-devel lang/perl5.34
> # change stuff
> git add lang/perl5.34
> git commit
>
> I don't really see any other way to do this, Git has absolutely no clue
> about copies or moves.

It might still be useful to do the copy and changes as two separate
commits.  Even if git doesn't do anything with that, our next vcs might
and reconstructing copy history is faster and less error prone with
unmodified copies.